Serbian officials ban gay-pride parade
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||3 October 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Serbian officials ban gay-pride parade, 3 October 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/5073cc74c.html [accessed 5 March 2015]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
October 03, 2012
Serbian gay activists display a banner that says "That's enough!" during a protest in front of the government building in Belgrade last year.
Serbia's Interior Ministry says the gay-pride parade scheduled for October 6 in Belgrade has been banned along with all other public events.
The ministry statement issued on October 3 said the events were banned in order to prevent possible disorder and ensure safety for citizens and foreigners in Belgrade.
One of the event's organizers, Goran Miletic, condemned the ban and told RFE/RL that the ban showed "the unity of the government and hooligans."
Earlier on October 3, the head of Serbia's Orthodox Christian Church, Patriarch Irinej, called on the authorities to ban the parade, saying it was against Serbia's traditions.
In 2010, scores of people were injured and arrested when right-wing nationalists and hooligans attacked the Belgrade gay parade.
Officials banned the event last year to prevent possible unrest.
Based on reporting by Reuters, AP, and RFE/RL's Balkan Service