Last Updated: Friday, 28 November 2014, 15:42 GMT

Libya: No deaths or injuries reported after explosive device thrown at UN convoy

Publisher UN News Service
Publication Date 10 April 2012
Cite as UN News Service, Libya: No deaths or injuries reported after explosive device thrown at UN convoy, 10 April 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4f9539982.html [accessed 29 November 2014]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.
No one was hurt today when an explosive device was thrown at a United Nations convoy travelling through the Libyan city of Benghazi, a spokesperson for the world body said.

The incident happened around 2:30 p.m. local time, according to Hua Jiang, spokesperson for the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL).

The convoy was carrying the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and head of UNSMIL, Ian Martin, who was in Benghazi for various engagements.

"Luckily nobody was hurt but the SRSG cut short his visit and has returned to Tripoli," Ms. Jiang told UN Radio.

She added that it is not known who the perpetrators were.

"The matter now is handled by the local authorities. As far as we understand, an investigation has been launched," said Ms. Jiang.

Among Mr. Martin's activities in Benghazi was an address at the University of Benghazi, where he spoke about issues related to UN assistance to Libya in its democratic transition, including the electoral process, public security and human rights.

UNSMIL was established by the Security Council last year to assist the North African nation in its post-conflict efforts following the toppling of the regime of Muammar Al-Qadhafi.

Search Refworld

Countries