Kazakh border guards chief resigns over massacre
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||13 June 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Kazakh border guards chief resigns over massacre, 13 June 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4fdb2f6dc.html [accessed 21 September 2014]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
By RFE/RL's Kazakh Service
June 13, 2012
ASTANA – The head of Kazakhstan's border guards service, General Nurzhan Myrzaliev, has resigned in the wake of the mass killing of 14 border guards and a forest ranger at a remote outpost along the Kazakh-Chinese border.
In another development, Kazakh television has broadcast a videotape showing the alleged confession of the border guard accused of carrying out the massacre, 19-year-old Private Vladislav Chelakh.
The tape was provided by the Military Prosecutor-General's Office, which is leading the investigation into the May 28 killings.
Chelakh's mother, Svetlana Vashchenko, told RFE/RL that her son told her in private last week that he had not killed anyone.
A coalition of Kazakh nongovernmental organizations has announced the establishment of a public commission to monitor the investigation of the massacre.
With reporting by RIA Novosti and Interfax