Last Updated: Tuesday, 02 September 2014, 13:52 GMT

Iran's state prosecutor says blogger was beaten

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 3 December 2012
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Iran's state prosecutor says blogger was beaten, 3 December 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/50cb3aa3a.html [accessed 3 September 2014]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

December 03, 2012

Blogger and activist Sattar BeheshtiBlogger and activist Sattar Beheshti

Iran's state prosecutor has told reporters that blogger Sattar Beheshti, who died in police custody last month, had been beaten.

Gholam Hossein Ejehi said an investigation determined that Beheshti, 35, was beaten from the day of his arrest but said the beatings were not the cause of his death.

Ejehi said the cause of death was most likely physical or psychological shock.

Ejehi's comments come two days after the head of Tehran's cybercrimes unit, Kamal Hadianfar, was dismissed over the case.

Beheshti was taken into custody on October 30 and died in Evin prison on November 3.

Iranian authorities have arrested seven people in connection with the blogger's death.

Based on reporting by AP and Mehr

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld