Egypt: Fourteen sentenced to death for Sinai attacks
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||14 August 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Egypt: Fourteen sentenced to death for Sinai attacks, 14 August 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/503b348931.html [accessed 10 December 2013]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
August 14, 2012
An Egyptian court has sentenced 14 Islamists to death after finding them guilty of attacks last year on a police station and a bank in the Sinai Peninsula.
The court in the city of Ismailia said the men killed five police officers in the town of Al-Arish in North Sinai.
One civilian was killed in an attack on a bank in the same town.
The court said the men were members of a hard-line Islamist group, Tawhid wal Jihad.
The attacks in June and July of 2011 and took place amid a surge in violence and lawlessness in Sinai following President Hosni Mubarak's ouster in February 2011.
The verdicts come amid an army offensive against Islamists in Sinai, where gunmen killed 16 border guards earlier this month.
Based on reporting by AFP and dpa