Egypt: Six 'terrorists" reported arrested in Sinai
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||10 August 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Egypt: Six 'terrorists" reported arrested in Sinai, 10 August 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/502e4358a.html [accessed 30 May 2016]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
August 10, 2012
Reports say the Egyptian armed forces arrested six "terrorists" in the Sinai region, where 16 border guards were killed in an attack earlier this week.
The state news agency, MENA, said the six were arrested during joint army and police patrols in North Sinai but did not say when.
Egypt has massed troops in North Sinai following Sunday's attack, the deadliest on Egypt's armed forces in decades.
Officials suspect the attack was carried out by Islamist militants.
The military said as many as 20 suspected militants have been killed since the attack.
Egypt's military presence in the Sinai Peninsula is limited under the terms of the 1979 peace treaty with Israel.
Analysts say the security situation in the area has deteriorated since the fall of former President Hosni Mubarak last year.
Based on reporting by Reuters and AFP