Six Afghan civilians killed by roadside bomb
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||10 August 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Six Afghan civilians killed by roadside bomb, 10 August 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/502e4359c.html [accessed 19 June 2013]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
August 10, 2012
Six Afghan civilians have been killed and another injured when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan's Helmand Province.
Authorities said Taliban insurgents had planted the bomb.
Helmand police spokesman Farid Ahmad Farhang told AFP that women and children were among the victims.
The victims were traveling in the Musa Qala district of the restive province.
Roadside bombs are a favorite weapon of Taliban militants fighting government forces and their NATO backers.
But they often miss military targets and kill civilians.
The latest deaths come two days after a report by the United Nations said more than 3,000 civilians had been killed and wounded in the first six months of this year.
The UN blamed 80 percent of the deaths on insurgents, saying more than half were caused by roadside bombs.
Based on reporting by AFP and BBC