Two charged over Afghan mosque suicide bombing
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||19 June 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Two charged over Afghan mosque suicide bombing, 19 June 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4fe46ff0c.html [accessed 12 December 2013]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
June 19, 2012
Afghan authorities say two men have been charged in connection with a suicide bombing that killed dozens of worshippers last year outside a Shi'ite shrine in Kabul.
Attorney General Mohammed Ishaq Aloko said on June 19 that both men have confessed to the December 6 attack.
Aloko alleged that the plot was planned in Pakistan's northwestern city of Peshawar by "regional spy agencies" and was aimed at "provoking sectarian violence."
He said one suspect came from Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar Province and was paid 10,000 Pakistani rupees ($100) to bring two suicide attackers to Kabul.
Shortly after the bombing, President Hamid Karzai blamed the Pakistani Al-Qaeda-linked militant group Lashkar-e Jhangvi for carrying out the attack.
Based on reporting by AFP and AP