Protocol for the Revision of the Statute of the Permanent Court of International Justice
|Publisher||League of Nations|
|Publication Date||14 September 1929|
|Reference||Entry into force: 1 February 1939|
|Cite as||League of Nations, Protocol for the Revision of the Statute of the Permanent Court of International Justice, 14 September 1929, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/40421edd4.html [accessed 19 April 2014]|
|Comments||The Protocol was adopted in Geneva on 14 September 1929, amended the Statute, and entered into force on 1 February 1936.|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
1. The undersigned, duly authorized, agree, on behalf of the Governments which they represent, to make in the Statute of the Permanent Court of International justice the amendments which are set out in the Annex to the present Protocol 1 and which form the subject of the resolution of the Assembly of the League of Nations of September I4th, 1929.
2. The present protocol, of which the French and English texts are both authentic, shall be presented for signature to all the signatories of the Protocol of December 16th, 1920, to which the Statute of the Permanent Court Of International justice is annexed, and to the United States of America.
3. The present Protocol shall be ratified. The instruments of ratification shall be deposited, if possible before
4. The present Protocol shall enter into force on September 1st, 1930, provided that the Council of the League of Nations has satisfied itself that those Members of the League of Nations and States mentioned in the Annex to the Covenant which have ratified the Protocol of December i6th, 1920, and whose ratification of the present Protocol has not been received by that date, have no objection to the coming into force of the amendments to the Statute of the Court which are annexed to the present Protocol.
5. After the entry into force of the present Protocol, the new provisions shall form part of the Statute adopted in I92o and the provisions of the original articles which have been made the subject of amendment shall be abrogated. It is understood that, until January st, I93I, the Court shall continue to perform its functions in accordance with the Statute Of I920.
6. After the entry into force of the present Protocol, any acceptance of the Statute of the Court shall constitute an acceptance of the Statute as amended. 7. For the purposes of the present Protocol, the United States of America shall be in the same position as a State which has ratified the Protocol of December i6th, 1920.
Done at Geneva, the fourteenth day of September nineteen hundred and twenty-nine, in a single copy which shall be deposited in the archives of the Secretariat of the League of Nations.The Secretary-General shall deliver to the States authenticated copies to the Members of the League of Nations an mentioned in the Annex to the Covenant.