Detained journalists from Iran's press TV handed to Libyan government
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||15 March 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Detained journalists from Iran's press TV handed to Libyan government, 15 March 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4f717ad41a.html [accessed 9 December 2013]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
March 15, 2012
A commander of a Libyan militia that detained two British journalists said in March 15 that the pair had been handed over to Libyan intelligence.
Misurata Brigade militia commander Faraj al-Swehli accused the two – both employees of Iran's state-controlled Press TV – of being spies.
He said reporter Nicholas Davis and cameraman Gareth Montgomery-Johnson were found with classified documents and photographs that made them appear to be trained soldiers.
Al-Swehli said Press TV had not contacted his militia since the two were detained on February 22.
Libya's government has said it was looking into their case to determine if the men would face charges for entering Libya illegally.
A former British ambassador to Libya, Sir Richard Dalton, says the two appeared to be legitimate journalists.
With reporting by AP