Lawyer says genocide suspect Mladic hospitalized
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||11 October 2011|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Lawyer says genocide suspect Mladic hospitalized, 11 October 2011, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4eaaa7e8c.html [accessed 12 March 2014]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
October 11, 2011
Ratko Mladic in an early October appearance before the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
One of Ratko Mladic's lawyers says the former Bosnian Serb military chief has been hospitalized in the Netherlands with suspected pneumonia.
Lawyer Milos Saljic says officials at the war crimes tribunal in The Hague, where 69-year-old Mladic is detained while waiting to be tried on charges including genocide, told him that Mladic had been hospitalized "allegedly because of pneumonia."
A spokeswoman for the tribunal had no immediate comment.
At a court appearance last week, Mladic complained that he was in poor health and suffering pain from a kidney stone.
His family has said he suffered two strokes while a fugitive for 16 years.
compiled from agency reports