Peru: The Gang "Los Malditos de Atahualpa," including its size, structure, leaders, areas of operation and how it operates.
|Publisher||Canada: Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada|
|Publication Date||3 August 2012|
|Citation / Document Symbol||PER104161.E|
|Related Document(s)||Pérou : information sur le gang Los Malditos de Atahualpa, y compris sa taille, sa structure, ses chefs, ses zones d'activités et la façon dont il opère|
|Cite as||Canada: Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, Peru: The Gang "Los Malditos de Atahualpa," including its size, structure, leaders, areas of operation and how it operates., 3 August 2012, PER104161.E, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/5152c0212.html [accessed 19 November 2017]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
In correspondence with the Research Directorate, the Criminal Investigation Directorate (Dirección de Investigación Criminal, DIRINCRI) of the National Police of Peru (Policía Nacional del Perú, PNP) indicated that, according to its national database, the gang "Los Malditos de Atahualpa" does not have any record (Peru 16 July 2012). However, an official with the Department of Criminal Investigation of the PNP in Callao (DIPINCRI PNP Callao) indicated the following with regard to the gang "Los Malditos de Atahualpa": the gang originated in the locality of Atahualpa, Province of Callao, Lima, and its members have been accused of aggravated theft, homicide, and bodily harm (30 July 2012). The gang does not have an organized structure, does not have known links with transnational gangs, and its members are mostly young men (ibid.). So far, the police have identified the following members of the gang:
- A.k.a. "Cara de Perro": currently in prison for the homicide of a 28-year-old man and injury to a 17-year-old man on 10 July 2011 in the locality of Tacna Norte, Callao;
- a.k.a. "Troll": currently in prison accused of being accomplice in the crimes of 10 July 2011 in Tacna Norte;
- a.k.a. "Vitucho": 24 years old, implicated in the murder of a 19-year-old man and injury to two women aged 41 and 34 years old in an event that took place on 9 May 2011 in the locality of Cuzco, Callao;
- a.k.a. "Daniel Sam": 23 years old and currently in prison. He is accused of the assassination that took place on 9 May 2011 and related crimes. He was also captured in 2010 for the homicide of a 24-year-old man and injuring a pedestrian on 9 August 2009;
- a.k.a. "Samir": a 19-year-old man accused of the assassination of the 19-year- old man on 9 May 2011 and related crimes;
- a.k.a. "Leandro": a 25-year-old man currently in prison implicated in the crimes that took place on 9 May 2011;
- a.k.a. "Morote": a 31-year-old man accused of the assassination that took place on 9 May 2011 and related crimes. He is also being accused of being the mastermind in the homicide of a 29-year-old man on 9 April 2011 in the locality of Puno, Callao;
- a.k.a. "Jhoncito": a 20-year-old man accused of participating in the event of 9 April 2011 in the locality of Puno, Callao;
- a.k.a. "Iván:" a 39-year-old man with an arrest warrant from the Third Penal Court in Callao for micro-level drug trafficking;
- a.k.a. "Gordo Carrillo," "Comadreja" and "Miguel": accused of assassinating a 22-year-old man who was a member of the gang "Los Malditos de Castilla" on 27 August 2009 in the locality of Ayacucho, Callao. "Gordo Carrillo" was assassinated on 28 August 2009 in reprisal (Peru 30 July 2012).
The events of 9 May 2011 were reported by the press, including La República (10 May 2011), Tu Teve (9 May 2011) and Diario La Primera (10 May 2011).
In addition, press reports indicate that the gang "Los Malditos de Atahualpa" operates in the district of Callao, in the city of Lima, and has been involved in several assassinations (Perú.com 9 May 2011; La República 10 May 2011) and drug-related offences (Diario Trome 27 July 2009). For example, on 27 July 2009, Diario Trome, a Lima-city-based newspaper (Diario Trome n.d.), reported the detention of a person who allegedly sold drugs to members of "Los Malditos de Atahualpa." On 26 August 2009, the same newspaper reported that according to América Noticias, a gun battle between members of "Los Malditos de Atahualpa" and "Los Malditos de Castilla" left two people dead and two injured. Also, two Lima-city-based newspapers report that an 18-year-old man and member of this gang has been involved in the assassination of a 14year-old girl out of jealousy (Nuevo Ojo 16 Nov. 2010; La República 21 Nov. 2010).
This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim for refugee protection. Please find below the list of sources consulted in researching this Information Request.
Diario La Primera. 10 May 2011. "Acribillan a joven en el Callao." [Accessed 16 July 2012]
Diario Trome. 26 August 2009. "Dos feroces balaceras en el Callao dejan dos muertos." [Accessed 30 July 2012]
_____. 27 July 2009. J. Yucra. "'Tia Rosita' hacía volar pistoleros." [Accessed 16 July 2012]
_____. N.d. "Términos y condiciones de uso." [Accessed 31 July 2012]
Nuevo Ojo. 16 November 2010. "Pandillero asesina a enamorada de 14." [Accessed 16 July 2012]
Peru. 30 July 2012. Policía Nacional del Perú, Departamento de Investigación Criminal Callao. Correspondence sent to the Research Directorate from an official.
_____. 16 July 2012. Policía Nacional del Perú (PNP). Correspondence sent to the Research Directorate from an official.
Perú.com. 9 May 2011. "Asesinan a joven de siete balazos en el Callao." [Accessed 30 July 2012]
La República. 10 May 2011. Alexi Velásques S. "Pandilla mata a ex reo y deja graves a 2 mujeres." [Accessed 6 July 2012]
_____. 21 November 2010. Jorge Luis Cerda. "Una bala les arrebató a Keiko." [Accessed 16 July 2012]
Tu Teve. "Matan de siete balazos a joven en el Callao." [Accessed 16 July 2012]
Additional Sources Consulted
Internet sources, including: América Noticias; Amnesty International; El Comercio; InSight; Jane's Intelligence Review; Perú - Ministerio de Justicia y Derechos Humanos; Perú21; La Razón; United States - Congressional Research Service, Department of State, Overseas Security Advisory Council.