Roadside Bomb Kills Afghan Civilians
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||27 October 2013|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Roadside Bomb Kills Afghan Civilians, 27 October 2013, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/5272223b4.html [accessed 30 September 2016]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
Afghan officials say a roadside bomb has killed at least 17 civilians traveling in a bus in the south-east of the country.
The minibus packed with people on their way to a wedding was struck on October 27 in the restive Andar district of Ghazni Province.
Local officials said many of the dead were women and children.
Several civilians, who have been rushed to hospital, are in serious condition.
The Taliban has denied any responsibility for the attack.
Nonetheless, similar attacks in the past in Andar, where the Taliban have control, have been blamed on the militants.
Roadside bombs are the Taliban's favorite weapon of choice and are responsible for the majority of civilian casualties in Afghanistan.
Afghan Soldier Killed At Academy
Also in Afghanistan, an Afghan soldier has been shot dead after opening fire on and injuring a NATO coalition soldier at a new British-run army academy in Kabul.
Afghan officials said October 27 that there had been an argument before gunfire was exchanged between the two soldiers at the Afghan National Army Officer Academy, which only received its first cadets last week.
The NATO-led international Security Assistance Force confirmed that one of its personnel was injured but provided no further details.
Such so-called insider attacks by Afghan forces have left 15 foreign soldiers dead this year.
The academy has been set up to produce a new group of military leaders as the Afghan army takes on the Taliban when the majority of foreign combat troops leave by the end of 2014.
Based on reporting by AFP, AP, and the BBC