UN says Mladic trial should start in weeks
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||22 May 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, UN says Mladic trial should start in weeks, 22 May 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4fc8adb428.html [accessed 25 August 2016]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
May 22, 2012
The chief UN prosecutor for the former Yugoslavia has said the evidence errors that prompted a postponement of the trial of war crimes suspect Ratko Mladic do not warrant a delay of six months, as sought by the defense.
Serge Brammertz said during a visit to Serbia that the prosecution believed the long-awaited proceedings could start within weeks.
A judge earlier this month delayed the genocide trial of the wartime Bosnian Serb Army commander, because of "significant disclosure errors."
Prosecutors are obliged to share all evidence with the defense.
Mladic is accused of waging a campaign of killings during Bosnia's 1992-95 war, including the siege of the capital, Sarajevo, and the execution of thousands of Muslim boys and men in Srebrenica – Europe's worst crime since World War II.
Based on reporting by AP, Reuters, and AFP