Last Updated: Sunday, 04 December 2016, 13:42 GMT

Afghan soldier held for NATO shooting escapes

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 15 July 2013
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Afghan soldier held for NATO shooting escapes, 15 July 2013, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/51e79bb328.html [accessed 5 December 2016]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

July 15, 2013

The incident raises fresh questions about the professionalism of Afghan security forces as NATO troops prepare to withdraw next year.The incident raises fresh questions about the professionalism of Afghan security forces as NATO troops prepare to withdraw next year.

An Afghan soldier accused of killing a Slovak NATO soldier has escaped from prison.

Afghan officials said on July 15 that the soldier slipped away from a prison at a heavily guarded military base in Kandahar Province.

General Abdul Hameed, the top Afghan military officer in the region, said the escape was facilitated by a military guard, who also disappeared.

Hameed said that they escaped by pretending the prisoner was sick and needed to be taken to a military hospital.

The Afghan soldier was arrested on July 9 after allegedly shooting at foreign troops.

A Slovak soldier was killed and six more troops were wounded.

The incident raises fresh questions about the professionalism of Afghan security forces as NATO troops prepare to withdraw next year.

About 60 NATO troops were killed in insider attacks last year.

Based on reporting by AFP and BBC

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries